Monday, August 24, 2009

Moving day at last! So, this marks the end of the MHC orientation and hotel-living period, and the beginning of us really living here! We were up early as to enjoy breakfast (which we did, very much so, except for me managing to pinch my finger while opening a baguette. Hard to picture, I know, but it still hurts!) and to pack up. At 10:00 we headed off in our separate directions and Muoyo and I were picked up by Mme Cesari who brought us to our new apartment! She's really very nice and a very active woman, and I can't wait to get to know her better (I'm hoping that at some point I'll actually be able to understand what she's saying). The walk over nearly killed me (55 pound suitcase+cobblestones+hills=PAIN), but at least we're on the first floor so there were no stairs.

So, we have one of ten apartments that's based around a little courtyard which looks very Islamic/Moroccan, with the stucco and arches. We have one key to enter the courtyard, and then another two to get into our front door (I hope that the two aren't necessary, because it takes forever to get in). We have a little kitchen/living area which is full of things left from the previous MHC students, and two rooms. Unfortunately we both wanted one of the rooms. I suggested switching halfway through the semester, but then we thought it would be too much work. So, we flipped a coin and I ended up with the nice room! Not that the other room is bad, but mine has slightly nicer furnishings, and a bigger bed. So, we spent a few hours settling in, and in the afternoon we went to lunch and did enough grocery shopping to get us through a few days. I figured that we'd make ourselves super sick of pasta so that we'd be forced to cook through sheer necessity. In the evening we went out with two friends which was quite lovely. Tomorrow is the placement exam at UPV, so send good thoughts this way!

Enough talk, here are photos!

My bed--complete with curtains, and my own personal grotto.

The view of my room from the door.

The courtyard from my window, with the fountain (which doesn't seem to work).

















The courtyard, which I swear is straight out of Morocco. The green door is the door to the street.

The itty-bitty living area/kitchen table, with a window onto the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment