Tuesday, December 22, 2009

GOIN' HOME--The EPIC travel log of an American trying to leave Montpellier.


4:30 am, France time--Maybe going to sleep at 2:00 am wasn't such a good idea after all. Pretty nervous about this whole trip, but have been reassured many times that everything will go just fine. Am determined to prove optimists wrong.

5:45 am--Why did it seem like such a good idea to pack so much and then walk to the train station? My hands hurt.

6:05 am--Hello Gare St. Roch, nice to see you again. Man I'm here early.

6:45 am--Waiting for my train... Thought that it would be a good idea to get here really early seeing as it's the only part of the trip that's under my control. Am now sort of wishing I had stayed in bed a little longer.

6:50 am--So, the train was supposed to be here by now, instead there's a flashing EN RETARD sign for an HOUR AND A HALF. Fuckfuckfuckfuck.

7:30 am--Waiting... And waiting... And... A fire alarm and everyone needs to evacuate the building? Great.

8:20 am--If the train isn't here now, I kill people.

8:25 am--Train's here, thank the gods.

(11:00 am--When I was supposed to arrive at Charles de Gaulle airport)

11:30 am--Wish the alternately screaming and giggling children would go away. They're stressed me out. At least the country is beautiful and snow-covered.

12:45 pm--So, not only are we running an hour and a half late, but the train is running slower than normal, too. FML.

1:00 pm--At the airport 2 hours later than originally expected and FORTY MINUTES BEFORE TAKEOFF!! AHHHHH! Mad dash to the terminal where I was told "pas de stress" and that it would be fine, as apparently everything was running late. Whew. Bags checked, go through security...

2:30 pm-- On the plane! Don't know how or why I made it, but I'm not going to complain.

3:00 pm--Au revoir, France!

9:45 am EST--And... the entertainment system is broken. It's gonna be a Loooong 7 hours. At least I got to chat with my neighbors.

4:00 pm--Hello, Montreal!

4:30 pm--Really, security and customs? Could this take ANY longer? I mean, I don't have another flight to catch or anything, so take your time...

5:25 pm--Just getting through customs... Hope it's not a problem that my flight was scheduled to leave FIVE MINUTES AGO. FUCK!

5:30 pm--Skidded to a halt at my gate just as they were calling my name, and just barely made it on the flight. God, that was close.

5:31 pm--Kid stole my window seat! Grr.

6:40 pm--I don't know how... But I made it! Hello, Boston!

9:45 pm--Home sweet home!

10:30 pm--Bed sweet bed! After 20 hours of travel and enough stress to give me a freaking ulcer, I think it's deserved. Also, I've decided that when I return to France in January, I'm getting myself a rowboat and ROWING back. It'll be easier, I think.

And thus ends the travel log, when Emily checks herself into a mental institution after the general trauma of travelling internationally.

No comments:

Post a Comment