Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Time for the most epic catch-up ever!

So, it's been an interesting few weeks. Long story short, the French university system works so that for the first three-fourths of the semester, there's nothing to do whatsoever, and then the last few weeks are hell. But, somehow I made it through the papers (including the one that I didn't learn was optional until the day I handed it in...), and actually just finished my third exam this evening! YAY!!! I had two exams yesterday, which ended up being 5 hours of exams straight which was good fun, and then another today. Being done still hasn't sunk in, though... I think that there's just too much residual stress and caffeine in my system to let me calm down and too much apprehension concerning packing, saying goodbye, traveling home for break... Yeah.

Anyways. What else have I been up to? Well, I've been to two more folk dances, which were a lot of fun. The first was just a really small one at UPV which I went to with Sara and was really nice. Then, two days later, we went to another dance, "Le Bal au Chausettes" (Dance of the Socks) where everyone was supposed to wear crazy socks, and there was even a competition. So, of course, I went out and bought myself a pair of striped knee-socks. It was a rather intense dance, in that it was packed and chaotic, but still fun, and I finally learned some more of the dances.
I wish that this had come out better... But there it is! It's a little hard to see, but the decorations included laundry lines with paper socks clothes-pinned on. So cute! Met a nice boy, too, by the name of Pierre :)

So, despite the fact that Thanksgiving doesn't really exist in France, we still celebrated! Twice, in fact. First, the whole group of us went out to dinner at a restaurant called l'Artichaut, and they actually made us Thanksgiving dinner! ... That is, French style. Two days later, we celebrated again, this time a little more family-style with a potluck! Looks amazing, huh? Tasted amazing, too. I must say, we're a pretty damn talented group of cooks! Let's see, there were yams, mac+cheese, turkey, peanut chicken, mashed potatoes, carrots, lemon meringue pie, apple crisp... God, I'm still full, three weeks later.

Last week, Sealia and I had our last cooking session of the semester, and made salmon, crackers (you have to pronounce it in a French accent, though), and chocolate mousse!
Cooking away...Mme Mousseron--she is SO CUTE!*Salivates*

So, Friday was the first night of Hanukkah, so me being a good little Jewish girl (/wanting an excuse to not be studious) decided to make my two favorite Jewish foods, latkes and noodle kugel! Never having made either I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out... But it ended up being great! :)Bon appetit!The makeshift Hanukiah that Sealia made out of tea candles. Yes, it was only the first night, but we figured why not celebrate all 8 nights in one? It made me really, super happy :) (Also, it just occurred to me that most of my photos seem to be of food, which makes me wonder why my pants still fit me...)

I MADE CREPES! Okay, can I now be officially French?

"EXAMS" is all I really need to say here...
Note the package of Prince cookies, mug and the Pyrex-liquid-measure-turned-teapot. What's that expression, necessity is the mother of invention? Yep, pretty much.
At some point very late on Monday night/Tuesday morning when I was just tired enough to start raking pictures. Glad that's over with!

So, that's me. I'll be spending the next 4 days cleaning, packing, and spending as much time as possible with my friends before heading home on Monday. I leave first thing in the morning (like 6:58 am or something) and will be home late that evening, after about 20 hours of travel. Wow, I can't believe I'll be home so soon. It'll be a bit weird, but I'm excited to be back home and if you're in the VT or MA area, give me a call!

(Oh, and most of the photos are courtesy of Sophie or Sealia--thanks!)

No comments:

Post a Comment