Wednesday, April 28, 2010

EMILY V. ITALY

During my April vacation, I visited Italy for the first time! I spent a week there, first in Florence and then on to Rome. It was quite the adventure! Somehow, I survived the 10-hour bus ride, managed the Italian rail system, hunted down my hostels, figured out public transport, warded off Italian men... And had a great time :) Traveling alone took some getting used to, as I had never done it before, but once I did, it was just fine.


Florence!! Santa Maria Novella.













Yes, that's me, and yes, I was really in Florence. We climbed up to the Piazza Michelangelo and got the Best view of the city!











Somehow, I hadn't realized just how many mountains there are in Italy. Wow.












The Arno river, which runs right through Florence.












Pizzapizzapizza! SO GOOD (so much so that I took a bite before I remembered to take a picture).











And, after two nights in Florence, on to Rome! Michelangelo's David!
















At attempt to get the three buildings that are in the heart of Florence into one picture, Santa Maria del Fiore, the Baptistery and the Bell Tower. All beautiful and dressed in matching green and white marble.














There was SO much gelato. Oh man. Mmm...













On the northern edge of Rome, there are acres and acres of beautiful gardens. This one was outside the Borghese Gallery.
















The Borghese, possibly my new-favorite museum.













Colosseum! Wow. Can you imagine building that thing sans cranes?
















Me at Saint Peter's Basilica!

















In the Vatican museum, Michelangelo's Pietà.

















Illicit-yet-obligatory photo of the Sistine Chapel. It was incredible... And my neck still hurts.












Pantheon! (Only a half picture because the other half was under renovation).
















On the train back to Florence from Rome. The countryside was so beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment