Sunday, January 31, 2010

Week two back in Montpellier marked the beginning of classes... Which I can't say that I was all that excited for. Not only was I nervous about my classes (just being unsure about how much work to expect, and being worried about maybe being the only foreign student), but after one semester at UPV, I have a good sense of how things work (or don't, as the case might be) and I don't really like it. (I promise that I'm not feeling quite so pessimistic anymore).

So, classes:

1. French Lit, "Arts and Ideas." The prof for the lecture seems entertaining, although he wants us to do a lot of reading, which I'm hoping is more of a recommendation than an actual necessity. The discussion part, "Poetry and Painting of the 19th Century," seems really interesting, although I'm still not sure how I feel about the fact that there are a total of 5 students in the class. Could be awesome, could be awful. I do, however, get to do a presentation on the Symbolist Movement, though, which is pretty awesome.

2. Art History, "French Painting of the 15th Century." Prof is not only nice, but she's Organized. Holy crap. We're spending the entire class on Hours and Psalm books which I feel might get a bit old, but could be interesting. I'm pretty scared, though, because it's a L3-level class which is basically the last class before students go for their Master's, so... Yeah, I feel like everyone's way ahead of me, although the only grades are a 20-minute presentation and an hour-long exam, which seems totally do-able.

3. French Civilization. I'm not even sure exactly what the class is about, but I love this prof (and she likes me) so it doesn't even matter. The class is mostly brand-new-to-Montpellier American students, though, which is a little odd. I mean, I know that's where we were a few months ago, but it really does seem like a big difference. I guess that just means that we've made a lot of progress.

4. Art History (Modern Art). Yes, more art history, although this is modern art which is... Well, good for me, I'm sure. It's for American students as well, but it's taught more like a French class, aka a 3-hour lecture. Luckily, next week we're going to the museum. Also, it's not taught on campus which is awesome because I'd rather not go there more than necessary, but not-so-awesome because I'm not sure if I'll even be able to find it alone. Hm...

So, classes took up most of my time and energy this week, but there was still room for some adventures and fun. First of all, on Thursday I decided to go and try out a taekwondo class, because I'm looking for something to get involved with. It was pretty intense, but a good class. I did manage to get a blood-blister about 20 minutes in, though, which was unfortunate. Nothing that a pair of scissors, a bandaid and some tape couldn't fix, though. They seemed nice, although I'm not sure if it's the most convenient way to make French friends, though. I haven't yet decided if I'm going back or not. There was also an adventure concerning... Brownies. Two, in fact.

Specimen A: Brownies in a wok. It seemed like such a good idea...












... Until it wasn't.













What's another not-so-great idea?
Specimen B: Microwave brownies. While Specimen A was practically charcoal, Specimen B was more of a pudding-like substance. Was damned tasty, though. [Thanks to Sophie for modeling the not-quite brownies]

I've decided that the pursuit of the perfect not-made-in-the-oven brownies will be my goal this semester. I shall succeed!!




Post-brunch photo. Damn, we're cute! [Photo courtesy of the wonderful and talented Mlle. Carrie Morgan who declined to have her picture taken]










And now, to enjoy my remaining hours of freedom before the week begins anew... (Only a three-day weekend? What is this?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment