Thursday, February 11, 2010

Another week, another post. Or, something like that, at least.

So, I have just finished with week #3 of classes, and things are going well, although the sheer number of presentations I need to do this semester is a bit overwhelming--FIVE (although, one down, so only four to go!). However, that's balanced out by the fact that I've had to pay all of 10 euro for my books. Hell yes. Overall, a number of my classes make me want to doze off, but none of my classes are bad, so I'm not going to complain.

Let's see. Last week started off most culturally... With a trip to the opera to see Othello! (On a Tuesday evening, for about 4 euro, no less). It was very good, although not done in traditional-opera-style, as in there was a full orchestra and chorus on stage, and then the singers were in front, not doing any acting and not in costume. Hm. Also surprising was that the opera was absolutely packed! On a Tuesday night! Three cheers for the French!

Friday evening was Siobhan's birthday party, and we celebrated her 21st accordingly. Good times :)












On Sunday, Mme. Cesari took me, Haruko and her other tenant Blaire out on an excursion to Maguelone, a town about half an hour from Montpellier.

Why hello, Mediterranean. Also, hello snow-capped mountains in the distance.












Cathedral de Maguelone! The windows are super cool (and no, not original).
















It's an old Romanesque fortified cathedral, built in the 11th century. This thing is SOLID. Seriously, when the Apocalypse comes, that's where I'll be.















Holy crap, PEACOCKS! No, I'm not sure what they were doing hanging around the cathedral, either.











Time for a nice, afternoon stroll by the Mediterranean, don't you think? Me too.
















How about a nice siesta, too? Yeah? Okay.













SO PRETTY.

















So, right now I'm trying to get over a cold as fast as possible so I can have a good weekend! I have an epic grocery-shopping trip planned for tomorrow, and then the jam in the evening. On Saturday I have a language exchange with a woman named Stephanie which should be fun. I'm hoping that we're at about the same level of language proficiency, or it'll be a bit awkward. And Sunday is... Valentine's Day, which tends to be mildly depressing, but hopefully it'll be alright. Also, I've finally started planning for my February vacation! Hello, Ireland... :) I'm pretty psyched. Now I can be a proper fiddler!

No comments:

Post a Comment