Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Frenchification:

It occurred to me, early yesterday morning while getting dressed, that I seem to have adopted a few French habits--Completely by accident, I assure you. This realization was sparked when trying to decide which scarf I wanted to wear: black, white or dark blue. It then struck me that I don't think I've seen my neck since the beginning of October, because I always have a scarf on, in true French fashion. So, this made me think about other ways in which I've been "Frenchified." (Is it just me, or does that sound like a Bushism?)

1. Scarves, as already stated. I feel terribly naked without one. Anyways, I don't want to tempt the vampires of the world.

2. Bread: For some reason, it now feels downright morally wrong to buy anything other than a freshly-made-that-morning baguette. Processed bread just seems to be, well, not bread. Also, not nearly as tasty when covered with nutella. For better or worse, I don't feel quite the same way about pastries v. cookies, which is probably good for my wallet and my arteries.

3. Conservation: I can't really claim that I now have the heat perpetually turned to "penguin" and wear my parka indoors, like the rest of the French population, but I am a bit paranoid about hot water, especially when it comes to using the washing machine... As in, turning it up to 40 C to wash my towels makes my palms sweat.

4. Makeup: Putting on makeup used to be reserved for going out on the weekends, when I felt like looking especially nice. Now, it goes on for classes. Yikes.

5. The "Sound Bubble": While Americans have a "space bubble," the French have a "sound bubble," in that it's considered awkward when you can easily hear someone else's conversation in public space. Will I ever have a phone conversation while on the tram? Heck no.

6. Time: At home, time is that evil entity that is always against us, no matter if it's too much, too little, or it's just the word "time" which is probably giving you a panic attack at this very moment. In France, however, possessing time is the single most important thing in life--Why bolt your dinner when you can enjoy it for the entire evening? Why run when you can walk? Why get a to-go cup when you can sit in the café and savor it for two hours? In France, you learn to take your time.

1 comment: